Wednesday, March 15, 2017

2017 03 Mar 15 High 32-ish YIKES

Ok yesterday some snow with ice but all in all not bad....

So why the Yikes The problem is the cold... I still have not made splits as I said previously that was a very good thing. for the next 5 days if we hit the 40s it's a good thing. The snow ice combo and cold with winds would have killed the brood.

Now I am just anxious.

I did pick up a 50ml syringe and have two containers of 12oz of oxalic acid. It may be a good time to treat the bees after this last bout of cold. I still have 4 bags of 25 lbs of sugar so cabs and the OAD I can do. I will need to make frames for the medium super for the spring and summer.

My other worry with this latest cold spell that I have not heard other beekeepers mention is the impact on the foliage. My peach trees had already started blooming and while there aren't any dandelions yet I suspect that will hit us early April. I'd love to see the bees on the peach trees in our yard but I suspect the blooms will again be wasted.

I just want to get in the hives and make a couple of splits so maybe next week.

Come on spring

No comments:

Post a Comment