Monday, April 10, 2017

2017 04 Apr 09 Highs in the 70s bright and sun shine

Interesting  happenings

It started with the splits I wanted to expand. I could not locate the queen so I made sure I had eggs everywhere. I had two colonies in 3 deep box configuration which may have been the smartest thing I EVER did  this season in January. The bees filled the boxes and in Virginia I simply moved that box to an empty setup. It turns out the queen was in that box as I did an inspection saw eggs, capped and uncapped brood in that box and more importantly saw almost completed queen cells on two frames in the now two deep configuration. so that may work out.

In Florida I split that top box into two double nuke setups (Sanford & Culpeper) with Sanford showing signs of the queen  with eggs and capped and uncapped brood. Then the other double nuc having a queen cell and capped larva. Then the mother colony also having queen cells with and capped brood.

Another 12 days for all the queens to develop and an inspection planned for this Saturday before Easter. This set of inspections is looking specifically whether the queen cells are going to produce queens. If so then I may make more nucs or diversify queens over ones that may not have queens. If I don't have enough then simply combine queen deficient hives.

Also a side story, I gentlemen stopped by who is interested in acquiring a hive. He kept bees in his earlier years and asked if I could part with a hive. I advised I'd be thrilled if I could give him a hive with a new queen. He asked what would I charge and I told him if it works he can have one. He is full of stories and at 88 years old reminds me of my grandfather.... I'd love to give him five frames for his setup and see how he does. Turns out I may end up with a constant supply of eggs for that colony.... seems bartering isn't dead and it saves me learning how to raise chickens..... which my wife and I thought about.

Small world and God does work in mysterious ways and I get to listen to some wild stories too. I think I come out way ahead on this one.

If you enjoy the blog please let me know and certainly if you have questions...I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment